Monday, June 7, 2010

Life in Dodgeville (Tiffany Bishop)

I was really worried that we were going to be in the middle of nowhere this summer.  Dodgeville has a population of 5,000 people (to give you some perspective Provo has a population of over 100,000) and there are no surrounding cities.  However, it's bigger than I thought it would be.  It has a hospital, a Super Walmart (although the parking lot is small and never filled up), 4 chain restaurants (McDonalds, Subway, Hardee's, and Culvers), and Lands' End.

We took three days to drive out to Wisconsin plus a one day stop in Colorado to visit some friends.  Then we went to Indiana for a week to visit my family.  Our apartment came fully furnished (including linens, utensils, cookware, etc.) so we didn't have to bring too much out ourselves.  It doesn't have a washer/dryer or a dishwasher though, all things that I've become accustomed to having at my leisure.  I'm sure some of you can agree with me that doing laundry for a family of five at the laundromat is expensive! 

We attend church 40 minutes away in a branch.  The size of the branch has swelled with the addition of us, the Blodgetts, and another LDS family interning here from Purdue MBA.  I have to add that I'm so glad Laura is here.  It's been great getting to know her and her family better and already having some friends!

Lands' End has some great programs and an excellent fitness center!  They also recently started their summer hours, so Tim gets a half day every other Friday. 

Some of our adventures thus far have included troll hunting (random? yes - but my boys loved it!) and exploring a cave called Cave of the Mounds.  There is a beautiful state park nearby here that has lots of things to do.  Unfortunately any time we've wanted to go it has been stormy. 

We're excited for more adventures still to come!

1 comment:

  1. Well you just have to get creative in a place like Dodgeville, right? And hey, you have a Super WalMart. That's more than I can say!

    ReplyDelete