Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Summer in Jersey (Tahlia Butler)


I have to admit when I found out we would be living in New Jersey for the summer I was a little bit nervous.  I'd never really been to the East Coast (besides Washington DC) and off all the states out east, New Jersey would probably have been the last one I'd pick.

With all that said, We've had an awesome time.  I actually like New Jersey!  The East Coast no longer intimidates me - I've always lived in the West.  I would be fine with living here someday which surprises me.

Interning with Johnson and Johnson's Pharmaceutical R&D group has been really good for my husband.  He loves the work he is doing and the impact he is making.  He is super busy all the time on his 1, 2, 3, ... 80 million projects.  They just keep giving him more!  He feels valued and he feels like others can see his potential - such a big difference between this internship and his previous jobs.  If he decides to do Corporate Finance he'll probably work for J&J.

We have traveled a TON this summer so I will try to condense it!  We have no idea where we will be living after Jeff graduates so we didn't want to miss any opportunities.  This is how I spent my summer vacation:

We started with a family trip to Disneyland that we had planned long before we found out about our internship.  I just worked out that we would have to drive from "sea to shining sea".   Disneyland was a lot of fun, especially since our 3-year-old Lily LOVES princesses.



Then we drove across the country to get to New Jersey...it took us about 13 days, but we planned in several "rest" days because driving straight through with a 3 year old that just potty trained and a nursing 9 month old would be crazy....OK attempting it at all was crazy, but we all lived to tell the tale.  We visited church history sights all along the way.  I'd never been to most of the sights and it was a very enlightening and spiritual experience.  Here we are in the Sacred Grove.



Our first day trip was to Philadelphia (where I had the most delicious sandwich I've ever had), then we visited Boston (where I had the scariest Dim Sum ever).  We visited the Jersey Shore (most unremarkable beach ever), Baltimore and Annapolis (coolest aquarium ever), New York City (tasty NY-style pizza), Hershey and Gettysburg, and Washington DC on the 4th of July (most patriotic vacation ever).  If you really want details, you can read them on my blog jeffandtahlia.blogspot.com.  Here's our family at Fenway Park in Boston.



We only have 2 weeks left!  We plan on going to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island this weekend and then next weekend we're going to go to the Manhattan Temple and spend a day in NYC without the kids.  Since driving here was a real challenge, my mother in law is going to fly home with our girls and watch them for a week while we drive back to Utah.  I'm excited about our extended "date" in the car - and we're going to do a "temple tour" on our way back and stop at as many temples as we can.

I can't wait to get back to Provo, to have a little more space, to have all of our clothes and toys and other things, and to reunite with our friends!  I will miss the sweet swimming pool here and the air conditioning.  The internship experience has been very valuable to our family and I can't wait to find out what the future holds for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment