Saturday, August 7, 2010

Home Sweet Colorado Home (Alicia S)

Although heading home to Colorado and moving in with my parents wasn't exactly the internship adventure I had in mind, it's worked out perfectly! I'd never been too keen on the idea of moving in with either of our parents, but my parents have been really easy-going and helpful, so it's been great. And I can't complain about the fully furnished house, larger collection of spices than I have in my own kitchen, and free babysitting!

The internship has also worked out really well. Dustin has worked for a company called Air Methods -- they are the "world's largest air ambulance operator" or Life Flight. They are by comparison a smaller company (around 3000 employees), but this has enabled Dustin to be involved in ways he wouldn't have been able to elsewhere. He works directly with the CFO and has been able to be involved a lot of interesting things, like meetings with executives and the board of directors and a quick trip to NY and Chicago to meet with investors.



(This is not actually Air Methods, but a war memorial we happened to see on our way here. It's much more interesting than the actual building)

Even though I grew up here, there is plenty I hadn't seen, and even more my husband and boys hadn't seen. We got to see a lot, and also have a nice list of things to see and when we come back to visit! We made it to the Butterfly Pavilion (where I held a Tarantula), the Denver Zoo, the Children's Museum, the Botanic Gardens and the 16th Street Mall.




We've also had a great time swimming--I was able to do a parent-tot swimming class with my toddler because I had my mom to watch my baby. Today we went swimming at a nearby reservoir where we could swim laps in a measured area. We've wanted to do this for a long time to train for open water swims in triathlons--now we just wish we had more time to go back and do it some more before we leave!






I think we may have had the longest internship in the program but it has still gone by fast and we don't believe it's almost time to pack up and come home!

1 comment:

  1. What luck that Dustin was able to find an internship in Denver. I was hoping we would end up there too. Maybe someday in the future... Glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete