Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Awful Upstairs (Stacie Aho)

Okay, so we are having a big problem. Let me refraise that, WE are the big problem.

After living in our upstairs condo for 4 days, the guy below us (speaking for him and his girlfriend) informed me, as I was in my PJ's cleaning out my recently purchased used vacuum, that they've been having a lot of "noise" lately. He proceeded to say that there has been running around at 7 am and 7 pm (when their sleeping and when they're eating). I believe this was just after once incident at each time. He then said it sounded like MJ was jumping off furniture at 7 one night. Okay... so MJ was not jumping off furniture but he was running.

I told him I'd do the best I could to keep him tame... but that I wouldn't give him Benadryl or handcuff him to a chair. He was excited about being in a new place, and had a lot of energy.

We have been super sensitive to this; feels as though we're walking on pins and needles. It's been driving me insane, especially since I can't control MJ's every move.

Today Merritt got a call from our (very nice) Landlord. She received a call from the HOA. Our neighbors sent them a letter stating we are noisy and have loud music (not sure where the latter came from... Merritt's guitar?).

Needless to say, I am super annoyed and frustrated. These people never took the time to get to know us... they found us a nuisance from the start.

HELP!!!! For any of you that live in upstairs apartments, what have you done to keep the noise down? I'm thinking these people are ultra-sensitive (he works from home, and she is a hair dresser, so they're both home a lot). We have carpeting almost everywhere in the place. But I don't want to drive them nuts, or get kicked out!

Thanks!
Stacie

PS- We're having a great time otherwise here in San Diego. The weather is great, and our ward is so friendly :)

5 comments:

  1. Sheesh! Keep it down! :) Well if you get kicked out, you can always come and live with us... if we have a place to live... if we're not too noisy for you. That was a lot of "ifs".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks Emily! Hey, if you don't have a place to live, just join us. What's a little more noise?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some ideas I have - 1)Bake them some cookies and try to win them over that way 2)See if there is a bottom floor apartment in the complex that you could move to 3)Make sure your neighbors know that you're only there temporarily 4)Get out of the house as much as you can. I'm sorry about your predicament. We had a similar problem a few years ago, but luckily we were the ones who were there first and so our neighbors took it as it was just what they had to deal with while they lived there. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had the same problem in our last apartment in CA. The guys called the police about our computer fan (which we could barely hear ourselves) and we were even the managers of the complex. Good ideas Tiffany! I would also check to see what is says about "quiet hours." We just made sure we were within the guidelines... if we were, they couldn't really say anything. This guy also complained about water running down the drain past 10 pm. If you need to let off some steam... let me know... I totally understand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Katie! It's great to know you other girls have been in the same situation. I think our place isn't built quite right. It's like MJ is jumping on a trampoline, and to the people below us, he sounds like an elephant, literally.

    Tiffany, unfortunately, these are all independently owned, so we can't swap to a different one. We are doing number 3 and 4, and I've thought about doing number 1, but I'm hesitant. I honestly feel that they feel we are ruining their quality of life right now. Not sure if they'd even eat my delicious cookies. Thanks for all the tips, though :)

    I guess it will just be tense for the summer. I want to be nice to them... but I can barely look them in the eye!

    Thanks for all the help!

    ReplyDelete